Art

Art and business are two fields I have deep connection with. Coming from two majors in my current college, communication and business administration, are evidenced to this. I have found a perfect amalgamation of these in one field though, Museology. My interest in Museology blossomed from my internship experience in the International Relations and PR Department of the National Museum of Korea. My tasks were newspaper clipping, updating the Museums blog, and assisting both ordinary museum viewers and VIPs in watching exhibitions. The internship enabled me to practice my communication skills in dealing with various kinds of people. It also made me appreciate art more as it made me realize that each art piece was not only a mirror of Korean art and creativity but also of history, culture, architecture, contemporary influences, point of view, and experiments. More importantly, I learned the basics of operating and managing a museum because I was rubbing elbows with the administrators and employees.
    Moreover, my unique passion and reason for choosing Museology has stemmed from my curiosity on the relationship between visual elements and visitors movements. During exhibitions, I observed visitors and took note of the art works viewed frequently and the reactions elicited from each piece. From these, I laid out a proposal that unfortunately did not materialize. However, I was deeply appreciated for my enthusiasm and honesty. Because of these, I aspired to continue my interest in the field by choosing to learn more about museum exhibition and efficient management. I specifically chose this University as I believe its Museology program offers practical experience for me to apply my skills in internship and in employment. Furthermore, I have a lot to learn in terms of museum history, philosophy, marketing, and effective operations, which I know this program, will equip me with. Also, museums around the world are houses of cultures and civilizations and sometimes tie up with other museums to foster cultural awareness and knowledge. With this, I aspire to know how the actual process of cultural exchange transpires as I want to share Korean culture to the rest of the world, and at the same time learn other cultures. Finally, the program will also provide me with information on how museums work not only to gain profit but also to sustain itself and be of help in preserving culture and reaching out to communities. 
    I am more than prepared to enter the program and adapt to a new environment as evidenced by the activities I have participated in. My communications skills came in handy when I took part in a group wedding for the aged in a municipal settlement house in Korea where I took pictures of the elderly and when I made an information campaign for the non-profit group, Sign-Q through its User Created Content program. Moreover, my societal awareness made me involved in programs for children. In fact, I am currently sponsoring a child in Mali as part of the World Vision program, mentored a girl from North Korea on how to adapt to Korean society and discussed about museums and life, and assisted disabled children through Samsungs equestrian teams therapy riding sessions for the disabled. Finally, I have shared my time in cooking for and serving the elderly in a program called Freefood. These activities have taught me about life and have developed me fully as an individual. With the values of giving back, responsibility, and sharing of talent, time, and skills, I can say that I am fit to enter the Museology program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment