Art1

Its not surprising that women make up such a small percentage of this list. We must remember that womens rights were never really finalized in the west until the 20th century. Prior to that, women were not even allowed to vote and were basically just seen as wives and mothers, not as people who can excel in their craft.  The dutiesresponsibilities expected from them might have also kept them from producing good work. When they werent busy taking care of the kids or of the household, they were busy with church or community activities. Women did not have time to write or do things for themselves. I remember Oprah immersing herself in a simulated 18th century world (where she was expected to fulfill the responsibilities of a woman had she lived in the 18th century) and concluding in the end, Now I know why womens liberty took so long. They didnt have time to fight for it This is of course, in contrast with the literary men, who had established writing careers.
Although, I suppose there must have been women who expressed themselves either in art or in writing. But their work might have been dismissed as from that of an amateur. If women were writing about the simple joys and sorrows of everyday life, or the pain of love, the mainstream publishers of that time might have thought of it as written musings and not really literature. Besides, if youre a woman, your emotions would appeal to women. Now if majority of the women in your time are not interested in good literature or do not have time to read, then your work stands a mighty good chance of going unappreciated.
For visual artists, I think to be considered great has something more to do with their stature at that time. The people who made it on the list are people from good families, with established educational backgrounds or literary careers. Visual arts, I have to say, require a little craziness. And although we in our generation have come to be tolerant of craziness that inspires creativity, I dont think past generations have. A stunning work of a visual artist may have been easily dismissed as a normal looking painting back in the day simply because the artist has very modest backgrounds.
Anyway, this is my favorite work written by a female poet. Its by Sappho, probably the first known lesbian poet. I like her work because even though you know its personal and she wrote it for a specific person, her themes are very universal and very relatable.
To me he seems like a godas he sits facing you andhears you near as you speaksoftly and laugh
in a sweet echo that joltsthe heart in my ribs. For nowas I look at you my voiceis empty and
can say nothing as my tonguecracks and slender fire is quickunder my skin. My eyes are deadto light, my ears
pound, and sweat pours over me.I convulse, greener than grass,and feel my mind slip as Igo close to death,
yet, being poor, must suffereverything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment